Saturday, January 1, 2011

One Word for 2011

Note: There is more information in the original post on my "regular" blog.

Order
or·der \ˈȯr-dər\

noun : a : state or condition especially with regard to functioning or repair b : a proper, orderly, or functioning condition

transitive verb : to put in order : arrange

intransitive verb : to bring about order : regulate

Synonyms — order, arrange, marshal, organize, systematize, methodize mean to put persons or things into their proper places in relation to each other. order suggests a straightening out so as to eliminate confusion. arrange implies a setting in sequence, relationship, or adjustment. marshal suggests gathering and arranging in preparation for a particular operation or effective use. organize implies arranging so that the whole aggregate works as a unit with each element having a proper function. systematize implies arranging according to a predetermined scheme. methodize suggests imposing an orderly procedure rather than a fixed scheme.

The one-word theme of Order will be a reminder to me of my desires to declutter and to prioritize, to create effective family routines and to remember what matters most. I think Order can encompass the important concepts of simplifying and of balancing. I think it also covers the crucial tasks of managing my time, using my money wisely, and monitoring my energy levels. I can even see Order as a principle for maintaining my relationships with family and friends and as a directive for furthering my professional goals.