Friday, July 2, 2010

Brainstorming: Symbols of Me

When I first decided to create a happiness project and started to consider my personal core values and my personal commandments, I also started thinking about symbols of who I am and what I value.

Recently Gretchen Rubin posted a list of her nine auspicious symbols of her happiness project, inspired by Buddhism's eight auspicious symbols. That got me thinking about symbols again, so here are the results of my brainstorming about symbols:
An unicorn, representing magic and Jesus Christ. The ocean, representing tranquility, change, and the concept "Be still and know that I am God." A rainbow, representing a promise and also color. A growing flower, to symbolize my commandment to "stretch." A book, representing knowledge. A heart, symbolizing love and family. Pi, symbolizing the seemingly irrational but orderly universe. A candle, representing light and warmth. The full moon, representing night and also change, as well as a sense of awe. The sun, symbolizing light and happiness ("there is sunshine in my soul today"). A bear - maybe a teddy bear or else a panda bear - representing (I think) comfort. Clouds, because I'm fascinated by them. A girl - like on the cover of Stargirl, representing me and "girl power." Penquins, just because they are so darn cute.
I'd like to finalize my list - probably limiting it to eight items - and then ask my daughter to create simple lines drawings for each symbol (with the simplicity of the drawings being related to my personal commandment to "simplify").