Saturday, January 19, 2013

One Little Word for 2013

I chose Order as my one-word theme for 2011, and in 2012 my word was Fullness. My word for 2013 came to me almost as an epiphany, shortly after Winter Solstice, when my friend Louise posted this as her Facebook status: "May the literal return of light be a metaphor for our hearts."

My word is actually three interrelated words:

(en)light(en)
light
n.
1: the natural agent that stimulates sight and and makes things visible; a source of illumination
2: understanding of a problem or mystery; enlightenment; spiritual illumination by divine truth
v.
1: provide with light or lighting; illuminate
2: make (something) start burning; ignite
adj.
1: of little weight; easy to lift
2: gentle or delicate
3: requiring little mental effort; not profound or serious
lighten
v.
1: make or become lighter in weight, pressure, or severity
2: make or become lighter or brighter
enlighten
v.
give (someone) greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation; give (someone) spiritual knowledge or insight

I think these words cover a multitude of concepts I want to explore or accomplish in 2013. Covering the spectrum from literal to figurative, from mundane to extraordinary, among those ideas are faith ("For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."), sunshine, frivolous fun (Lighten up!), learning and experiencing new things, weight loss, and decluttering. I'm not yet finished contemplating the word Fullness, either, and I think that the verbs Light and Lighten also relate to my thoughts about mindfulness and living deliberately.

Have you chosen a one-word theme for the year?