Monday, May 17, 2010

Resolution: Walk for Exercise

The first resolution of my "happiness project" is to walk for exercise. At present, I am challenging myself to walk at least three days each week, for a total of at least five miles a week.

Although I feel my advancing age every day, I am in good health. Because I want to remain in good health for many years to come, I need to lose some weight and I need to lower my cholesterol. Neither weight loss nor cholesterol reduction are behaviors that I can incorporate into my life. ("Stand in the middle of the room and lose weight" is not something that anyone can do.) But walking for exercise on a regular basis is a behavior that can help with both my weight and my cholesterol. Walking also reduces stress and provides thinking time. Because I like to listen to music while I walk, I can get a double dose of serenity if I walk with my iPod Shuffle.

Earlier this year, I participated in a 100-Mile Fitness Challenge. I didn't make the 100-mile goal but I did walk 88 miles from January 1 through March 31 - and I had a great sense of accomplishment. Unfortunately, it was all too easy to stop walking once I no longer had the challenge to make me accountable. Regular walking is something I need to incorporate into my life on a long-term basis.

I walked two miles today.