Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thinking about Commitment

A friend on Facebook posted this thought today:

There is a difference
between interest and commitment.
When you're interested in something,
you do it only when it's convenient.
When you're committed to something,
you accept no excuses, only results.

This idea immediately resonated with me - and the more I thought about it, the more I liked it! Whether we are talking about reading for pleasure, losing weight, being a contributing member of an organization, or just about any other aspect of one's life, the difference between interest and commitment is significant.

I am an avid reader. Other people often mention to me that they'd like to read like I do ... when they find the time. I doubt I'm any less busy than they are, but I'm "committed" to being a reader. I'm not just interested in reading when it's convenient - but I make the time for this most enjoyable pastime. (Lately I have had less time to read than I would wish I did - but that's something I hope to correct through my efforts to create happiness in my life.)

On the other hand, I realize that I'm only "interested" - at the present time - in losing weight. When I'm tired, I don't exercise. When I feel like eating chocolate, I do it. Until I'm committed to losing weight, it just isn't going to happen.

In the things that matter most - in my faith, with my family, in the promises I've made - I want to always be committed.