Monday, October 23, 2017

Creating a Playlist

One of the things I wanted to do to help me as I worked toward becoming #WholeIn2017 was a playlist that would inspire, motivate, even comfort me in my efforts. Among the eclectic collection of twenty-seven songs I chose are the following:
  • "I Am Woman" by Helen Reddy
  • "Leave Out All the Rest" by Linkin Park
  • "Here Right Now" from Ghost - The Musical
  • "Red Sea Road" by Ellie Holcomb
  • "Brave" by Sara Bareilles
  • "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter
  • "Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)" by BYU Noteworthy
  • "Raise You Up / Just Be" from Kinky Boots
  • "Ordinary Miracle" by Sarah McLachlan
  • "Good Good Father" by Chris Tomlin
In one way or another, each of these songs helps me feel more whole!

Near the end of 2016, in conjunction with both Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and my attendance at BYU women's basketball games, I became familiar with the one song that I chose as my "theme song" for 2017. Recorded by American singer and songwriter Rachel Platten and released in February 2015, "Fight Song" caught my attention with its powerful lyrics as well as its mesmerizing rhythms. In particular, I love the chorus of the song:
This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song
My power's turned on
Starting right now I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me
According to Wikipedia, Rachel Platten said, "'Fight Song' was inspired by a lot of experiences that were hurting me and that were making me feel like maybe I didn’t have a chance in this industry. I wrote it because I needed to remind myself that I believed in myself. No matter what, I still was gonna make music, even if it was on a small scale. Even if it was just for me."