Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Physical Wholeness (Part Two)

Beginning on July 1, I started participating in a Family Healthy Living project with my husband and daughter.

The project focuses on four areas on physical wholeness:
Sleep
Movement
Eating Right
Drinking Right

Except for October, which I ended taking off from the project, I have been encouraged by my efforts in these areas.

Sleep is an on-going issue in my life. I do not do well when I don't get enough sleep, but I'm constantly feeling sleep-deprived. Part of this is a result of the fact that I'm a night person but need to be at work at a fairly early hour. Trying to get myself into bed early is hard, but I've making progress toward getting close to seven hours of sleep each night.

I ran a 5K on Independence Day and was pleased by my efforts, so I wanted to make another goal that would stretch me over the remainder of the summer. Talking it over with my husband, we decided that we'd climb Sunset Peak on Labor Day. It's not a particularly long hike, but it's quite steep, so I prepared by doing incline miles on the treadmill at the gym. The hike ended up being quite a challenge — but I did it! Now I have a time goal for an upcoming Turkey Trot 5K, and I'm looking forward to some hiking in Utah's National Parks next May.

Eating right has meant mostly eliminating candy (most notably from the candy bowl at work) and eating more fruits and vegetables. I'll keep working on this!

I'm not a big fan of drinking copious amounts of water, but I've been getting additional water every day and limiting the amount of Diet Coke I drink. I'm definitely not looking to eliminate my Diet Coke, but I do feel better with improved hydration.

Beginning tomorrow I'm focusing again on Family Healthy Living!