Monday, October 5, 2015

"Come and See" (John 1:39)

I love the stories of Jesus found in the New Testament! Of the four canonical gospels, I think my favorite — at least today — is the gospel of John. By the time John wrote his book, he had a deep understanding of the Savior and His teachings. I love these words from Amanda Bible Williams:
[John] has seen this One who is a light in the darkness with his own eyes, followed Him with his own feet, and he doesn't waste any time telling us exactly who he knows Jesus to be.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" (John 1:1-5 ESV).
John bore witness that Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), and he tells us that his testimony was "written that [we] may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing [we] may have life in his name" (John 20:31 NIV).

When John and his friend Andrew first heard Jesus speak, they were so attracted to Jesus that they followed Him as He left the crowd. Sensing that He was being pursued, Jesus turned and asked the two men, "What seek ye?" or simply "What do you want?" They answered, "Where dwellest thou?" or "Where do you live?" Christ responded, "Come and see." (See John 1:37-39.)

Jeffrey R. Holland has asserted the following:
It seems that the essence of our mortal journey and the answers to the most significant questions in life are distilled down to these two very brief elements in the opening scenes of the Savior’s earthly ministry. One element is the question put to every one of us on this earth: "What seek ye? What do you want?" The second is His response to our answer, whatever that answer is. Whoever we are and whatever we reply, His response is always the same: "Come," He says lovingly. "Come, follow me." Wherever you are going, first come and see what I do, see where and how I spend my time. Learn of me, walk with me, talk with me, believe.
What do I want? I want happiness. I want joy. I want peace. I want love. Jesus' response: "Come and see!"

References
Holland, Jeffrey R. "'He Hath Filled the Hungry with Good Things'," Ensign, November 1997.
Williams, Amanda Bible. "He is the Beginning." She Reads Truth, January 1, 2015.

NOTE: Bible references are taken from the King James Version, unless otherwise indicated.