Thursday, October 1, 2015

"Love Life and See Good Days" (1 Peter 3:10)

Settlement Canyon, Utah. August 2014.
© 2015 Alison Walker

Beginning with 2011, inspired by my friend Sue, I've made a tradition of choosing a one-word theme for the year. My word for 2011 was Order, and in 2012, I chose Fullness. The word I chose for 2013 was actually three interrelated words - (en)light(en) - and in 2014 I wanted to build on what I'd learned in the previous years and chose Onward as my word.

My One Little Word for 2015 is See. I chose it after I'd encountered a particular scriptural passage three separate times over a period of just a few weeks in three entirely different circumstances. That passage - from the first epistle of Peter - counsels us to "love life and see good days." What a simple yet profound suggestion! Says the inspirational writer Emily Belle Freeman:
It is an interesting choice of words. We live in a society that is constantly reminding us to have a good day. We see that phrase written at the bottom of our restaurant receipts, hanging on the walls of our grocery stores, and even used as a salutation at the end of our e-mails. Interestingly, no one reminds us to see a good day.

I wonder how different our outlook on life would become if that became our motto. What if we trained ourselves to see good days?

I believe it is possible.

I believe it would be life changing.
As I've thought about and tried to live the word See this year, I've been amazed at what I've learned and felt - and, yes, seen. Throughout this month I'm going to blog about some of those things. Will you come and see?

References
Edwards, Ali. "One Little Word." Ali Edwards.
Freeman, Emily. Love Life and See Good Days. Deseret Book, 2011.