Thursday, October 13, 2016

Loving My Actual Life
by Alexandra Kuykendall
A Book Review


From the moment I saw the cover of this book, I knew that it contained something I needed for this year's exploration of my 2016 One Little Word. I was so right!

In the same spirit as Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project but with a biblical perspective, Alexandra Kuykendall's Loving My Actual Life outlines an experiment she created to improve her outlook on life. I think there is something here that every woman will find relevant to her life. Kuykendall's experiment lasted nine months, and she gives us an in-the-trenches view as she logs her thoughts and activities over each month.

Among my favorite months were her emphases on rest ("Sleep is worth prioritizing. Always.") and creativity (which I wrote about here).

Kuykendall is a natural storyteller, and she balances her stories with simple, readily quotable statements of truth. Each month includes questions for reflection useful for the individual reader and also productive for a group study.

I am excited to design my own experiment for "loving my actual life" because it's a full life and I want to feel more gratitude for it on a daily basis!

Disclosure: I was selected as a member of the launch team for this publication and, as such, received an advanced copy via NetGalley. All opinions are my own.