Monday, October 3, 2016

Women in the Scriptures

A few years ago, my daughter Erin and I visited an exhibit by the Utah-based artist Kathleen Peterson. The exhibit consisted of paintings Kathy had done of women from the Bible. Erin's favorite was a depiction of the prophetess and judge Deborah leading her army to battle, and I took Erin's picture standing below that painting.


Kathy's wonderful paintings have been used to illustrate the picture book Girls Who Choose God, written by McArthur Krishna and Bethany Brady Spalding — a book I own and love.

Recently, the children in our congregation did a presentation during the Sunday worship service about what they've been learning this year about the scriptures. For the most part I enjoyed their words and songs, and I truly appreciated their witness of the truthfulness of the Word of God. I was saddened, though, during one section of the presentation when a number of children told us of their favorite scripture study. Not one of those children, the majority of whom were girls, described a story about a woman!

I have my favorite Bible stories about men, of course, but aren't there just as meaningful stories about women? Yes!

Isn't it important that we learn to see the women in the Word? Yes!

Can't we find heroes to admire and emulate among the great female characters in the scriptures? Yes!

Among my favorite New Testament stories about women (as illustrated in the exhibit of Kathleen Peterson's work) are the account of Jesus' visit to Mary and Martha, Mary Magdalene as the first witness of the Resurrected Lord, and the Samaritan woman at the well.


Who are your favorite women in the scriptures?