Friday, October 7, 2016

Expanding My Horizons
Part 1

Late last year, as I considered what I wanted The Year of "Yes" to look like, I had the idea that watching TED Talks and listening to podcasts would be ways I could expand my horizons. Not only would I be experiencing some new media that had intrigued me but which I'd never tried, but also I'd potentially be hearing new ideas or learning something I didn't know before.

I've had some success with this endeavor.

The whole concept of TED Talks is still evading me somewhat. I'm not sure where to start or how to find things that I'll actually enjoy. I've not given up on the idea, however, so please share any suggestions you might have.

I did download the Podcasts app to my iPhone, and I've listened to several episodes of both Happier with Gretchen Rubin and Anne Bogel's What Should I Read Next? I'm finding these podcasts to be useful diversions while I'm commuting and either between audio books or just needing a change of pace. I've also listened to a few episodes while running.

I think part of my failure to fully embrace either podcasts or TED Talks is that I greatly value my audio book time. "Reading" during my commute is vital to my ability to get anywhere close to finishing the 104 books I have as my annual goal. I'm also more likely to exercise when I know I can spend time with a book I'm enjoying.

Moving forward, though, I think I'll continue to look at both TED Talks and podcasts as ways to say "Yes" to expanding my horizons.